Thursday, June 20, 2013
Enjoy some light, summery wines in our courtyard with our wine host Joe Barsotti.
Source: Wall Street Journal
June 01, 2013
In this article on the hep and happening in Pittsburgh, the author interviewed four prominent Pittsburghers regarding their favorite places in the city. The Priory Hotel was singled out by Andy Warhol Museum Executive Director Eric Shiner as his favorite place for a "sound sleep." Said Mr. Shiner: "It's a unique property, a renovated monastery, with events held in a former church."
As home to the Whiskey Rebellion of the 1790's, where citizens of Western Pennsylvania rose up against the United States government's imposition of new taxes on whiskey, the Pittsburgh region has a long tradition of making distilled spirits. As time has moved on, most production of whiskeys has migrated to Kentucky and Tennessee. However, in 2011 the Meyer family launched Wigle Whiskey in the Strip District, the first whiskey distillery in the city of Pittsburgh in many a moon. Named after one of the primary whiskey rebels (who was dragged to Philadelphia and hanged), Wigle Whiskey distills and bottles both rye and grain whiskeys, and they do it the old fashioned way, grinding the grain in their distillery.
The folks at Wigle Whiskey open their distillery for a tour and tasting every Saturday at 12:00 noon and 2:00 p.m., where they will show you the ins and outs of whiskey making. You also get a taste of the fruits of their labor -- either straight or in cocktail form.
The Priory is proud to partner with Wigle Whiskey to offer a unique overnight package featuring a tour of this fantastic facility. The Wigle Whiskey Tour Package features:
* An overnight in either a Standard Queen or Deluxe King room at the Priory;
* Two tour admissions to a Wigle Whiskey tour and tasting ($40 value) (note that tours occur on Saturday only, at 12:00 noon and 2:00 p.m.;
* Two admissions to the Heinz Hisotry Center in the Strip District ($24 value);
* Champagne in your room at check in;
* A Discover the Strip Basket, with gifts and coupons from the many merchants in the Strip District;
* Transporation to and from your various Wigle Whiskey Package destinations courtesy of our Priory Hotel shuttle.
The Wigle Whiskey Tour package is well priced at $229 plus tax for a Standard Queen room and $249 per night plus tax for a Deluxe King room. All prices are per double occupancy.
$229 plus tax for a Standard Queen room; $249 plus tax for Deluxe King room
Visit the Heinz History Center Website